WEA-SAMMAMISH UNISERV COUNCIL
BOARD OF DIRECTORS' MEETING
October 1, 2018
4:45 PM - 6:30 PM
Sammamish Council Office, Bellevue
I. Call to Order: 4:48pm
II. June 2016 Minutes Approval- Motion: David Abbey Second: Debby N
III. Introductions & Celebrations
- Council Board Members
i)Introduced each local and their members.
i)Staff members introduced
IV. Discussion: The year ahead…
- Council Mission and Goals
i)Discussed what is the mission and goals of the council.
ii) Brainstormed -training, political action, member engagement, solidarity supporting with others, representation support, bargaining support, nuts and bolts, empowering members, information support, leader support, systems, liaison
- Membership update
i)Michael shared current numbers of members.
- Closing out of 2017-18
i)Mark shared what we budgeted for 2017-2018 and what our actual expenses were for the year.
Motion was made by Allison seconded by Gary to form a sub committee to look at the budget for 2018-2019 3 abstentions. Passed.
- Draft Budget 2018-19
- Community Outreach Budget Draft
- Membership Engagement and Education Grants
- i)Continuing the grant for each local.
i)Michelle shared the draft of the outreach budget and the changes for this year.
- Red for Ed: Building Educator Activism
i)No longer pizza and politics. Looking to expand out to more members
- 5th LD Bill Ramos and Lisa Callan on October 6 and 27
10am-2pm doorbelling for Bill Ramos and Lisa Callan
- 48th LD Patty Kuderer on October 20
- Local Goals
- Meeting Calendar
Shared meeting dates
- Contact Info
Check form to see if correct
- WEA Board Report
Mark and Tani shared:
- SEB passed for school employees will be on a state healthcare plan. Has to be funded by the legislative.
- Discussion about rules about WEA officers and executive office
- Looked at cutting WEA budget
- Received a grant to form a member of color team at the council level to support members of color. Meeting the 15th or 22nd
2018 NBIs discussed
- WEA – Retired
- i)Debby Would like to come out to locals to share what they do
- WEA PAC
i)focusing on the different races especially in the 5th
VI. Action Items
Adjournment: 6:30 PM
Next Presidents’ Meeting: November 5, 2018 at WEA-Sammamish Council Office
Next Council Meeting: November 5, 2018 at WEA-Sammamish Council Office